A clear understanding of skilled inventory is one of the most fundamental components to resource planning. Skilled inventory (aka skilled capacity) affects a company in two ways. First, the personnel a company hires will directly affect the cost of operations. Changes in the number and type of people will either increase or decrease costs. Second, and no less important, the mix of people and skills hired will directly affect productivity. Hiring good people with the wrong skill sets is not beneficial to the organization over time. The big challenge for these organizations is to dynamically manage the staffing profile to at once be cost effective and highly deployable.
Common Business Problems
- Many projects kick off with no chance of completion in the expected timeframe because the assigned people are not available to deliver the work.
- High priority projects are not always staffed with the right skills or skill proficiency levels to be successful.
- There is a general lack of visibility into capacity shortfall in key skill areas with creates bottlenecks across projects.
- There is a poor mix of employees and contractors, creating unnecessary redundancy and cost overruns in key areas.
- Low utilization levels exist in some skill areas, while shortfall is found in other skill areas (demand & capacity mismatch).
- There is no formal staff planning process; new hire requests are generated as needs come up without a long term strategy.
An organization must have the ability to capture current, credible data for analysis, and the structured processes to utilize that data for decision-making. ResourceFirst presents the availability and cost of each staffing option at the time of decision-making. Of course there are always trade-offs to be made in any staffing decision. Management needs the ability to quickly evaluate candidates by cost, geography, relevant skill, availability and potentially relevant organizational criteria. ResourceFirst provides the requisite visibility and analysis with straight-forward dashboards, reports and editable views.
- Support for documenting periodic resource capacity by FTE or hours
- Ability to analyze assignment vs allocation based on priority and capacity
- Resource utilization skill set, division or both
- Support for a hierarchical skills matrix
- Support for primary and secondary skills
- Support for multiple proficiency levels
- Search for available resources with primary or secondary skill matching
- Identification of shortfall in key areas
- Identification of shortfall impact in projects and programs
- Cost of capacity reporting
- Cost of shortfall reporting
- Review the impact of lower cost resources
- Talent distribution graphic and other powerful dashboards
ResourceFirst capabilities are typically grouped to support implementation needs
View solution videos
Request additional information
ResourceFirst™ is a multi-platform hosted solution that uses resource management as a foundation for strategy and portfolio execution. For modern organizations to compete successfully, they must have Strategy, Allocation and Execution data available at all major decision points. ResourceFirst™ promotes a culture of role-based data capture and communication through improved Resource Management, Strategy Execution, Project Portfolio Management (PPM), and Program Management Office (PMO) operations. ResourceFirst™ Solutions touch on multiple process areas and may be implemented in the order of greatest need.