Allocation & Feasibility
Resource Allocation represents an achievable balance of assignments, taking into account resource supply, resource demand and prioritized work. The result is a credible forecast that businesses can believe in. To achieve a credible forecast, there must be agreement between those managing projects (project managers) and those managing people (resource managers) on when skilled resources will work on initiatives. The allocation process is an iterative cycle that requires some back-and-forth conversation. This can be accomplished via a formal request process or direct personal communication. The allocation process is repeated frequently because many of the foundational assumptions, including staff, schedule and priority, are always changing.
COMMON BUSINESS PROBLEMS
- There is no alignment between resource investments and organizational importance (priority)
- There is no order to assigning resources to projects
- Forecasts are not credible; team members do not respect the plan
- Capacity is not considered by management during decision-making
- It is difficult to reassign resources when priorities, schedules or staff change
- It is difficult to determine the feasibility of projects
- There are too many projects in progress; resources not available to complete them all
A Prioritized Allocation Algorithm differentiates ResourceFirst™ from other PPM systems because it allows team building without losing reference to resource capacity or other project assignments that may exist. In addition, because the model is dynamic, ResourceFirst™ can quickly accommodate change at any point in the process. Another algorithm called Optimization allows ResourceFirst™ to analyze underutilized staff and make assignment recommendations based on skill set and availability.
- Resource managers own the ultimate forecast
- Offers a resource request queue with notification
- A resource optimization formula identifies and recommends available named resources
- Resource planning by skill area
- Resource planning by named resource
- Shortfall reporting and analysis
- Analysis & reporting of true allocation based on capacity
- Multi-user platform for assigning resources and forecasting effort
- Prioritized allocation algorithm forces an ordered approach to allocating resources
- A project demand view with heat map highlights project assignment issues
- A project utilization view highlights resource assignment issues
PDWare is a leading provider of portfolio management software to organizations with goals toward optimizing strategic alignment, resource allocation and project execution. ResourceFirst, our flagship PPM product, provides the infrastructure for collecting credible operational data and delivering the business analytics to enable portfolio, program and resource management maturity. ResourceFirst is available for cloud and on-premise installations, providing first-line managers, executives, PMO and EPPMO functions the agility to meet fluctuating work priorities, schedules, demand and staff capacity.