Companies manage demand to determine feasibility, project cost and to validate the correct resources are assigned to the highest priority projects. The challenge of capturing demand is to balance the staffing requirements of the project with the availability of the actual people who will do the work. Since important decisions are made from the resource forecast, the data must be visible and credible. This requires a repeatable process with interactive data entry, reporting and a mechanism for resource managers and project managers to work through contention issues.
COMMON BUSINESS PROBLEMS
- Projects are staffed with resources that are not available
- Cross-project bottlenecks are not visible, creating unnecessary delays
- Project plans lose credibility rapidly when resources prove to be working on other items
- An operational forecasting process is not in place
- A spreadsheet based forecasting process that is difficult to consolidate and analyze
- Too many projects exist in a portfolio; many are not feasible
- No process for learning or improvement
ResourceFirst takes the approach that resource demand forecasts are at the center of Portfolio Management decision-making. Functional managers forecast their resources based on requirements outlined by project teams. The forecast is validated periodically. Functional managers are responsible for updating the utilization of their forecasts at least once a month, and sometimes more frequently. Over-committed resources are replaced with available resources when possible.
- Prioritized analysis model to determine which assignments are valid and which need to be resolved
- Staffind recommendations based on priority, skill demand and availability
- Actuals tracking options to audit and validate forecasts
- Global searching for alternative skilled resources with availability from other business units
- Staffing & skill requests made by project managers
- Project level resource assignments forecasted by resource managers
- Planning options by FTE or Hours
- Dynamic views of resource utilization
- Dynamic views of project demand
ResourceFirst capabilities are typically grouped to support implementation needs – Learn more about Integrated Solution Blocks
PDWare is a leading provider of portfolio management software to organizations with goals toward optimizing strategic alignment, resource allocation and project execution. ResourceFirst, our flagship PPM product, provides the infrastructure for collecting credible operational data and delivering the business analytics to enable portfolio, program and resource management maturity. ResourceFirst is available for cloud and on-premise installations, providing first-line managers, executives, PMO and EPPMO functions the agility to meet fluctuating work priorities, schedules, demand and staff capacity.